Monday, December 26, 2011

Scatter Sunshine

I volunteered to give a Relief Society lesson at the nursing home branch.  I chose my own theme, focusing on the Plan of Salvation, with emphasis on the spirit world.  I had a few stories to share, including one from my ancestors.  I kept feeling like I was supposed to share with the residents about how Josh gave me a hymn to arrange, "Rejoice, the Lord is King" and then play it for them in the middle of my lesson.  I recognized that many in the nursing home are elderly and so many of their loved ones were waiting for them in the spirit world, parents, spouses, and even some children.  


As the meeting began, I looked around and considered nixing the story and performance of "Rejoice, the Lord is King."  For one, the piano was back in a dimly lit corner and I could tell it the sound would be 'plunky' at best.  More than anything, I was feeling intimidated and sure that I'd mess up.  Then, we started singing the opening hymn, Scatter Sunshine.  I sang, "Oh, what care and sorrow you may help remove, with your songs and courage, sympathy and love,"  Then, I realized I couldn't let my fear and pride keep me from lifting their spirits through sharing my music.  


The gratitude and love the brothers and sisters showed me afterward were thanks enough, but I also felt a sweet whispering from the spirit that said I had done the right thing.  My heart was lighter.  My day was brighter.  I went home and started a new piano arrangement.


(After you click on the link below, the audio will begin on another window, but you may return to this window to follow along with the lyrics below.)



SCATTER SUNSHINE
Words by Lanta Smith, Music by Edwin Excell

In a world of sorrow ever will be known,
Where are found the needy and the sad and lone,
How much joy and comfort you can all bestow,
If you scatter sunshine ev’rywhere you go.

   Scatter Sunshine all along your way.
   Cheer and bless and brighten ev’ry passing day.  (repeat)

Slightest actions often meet the sorest needs,
For the world wants daily little kindly deeds.
Oh, what care and sorrow you may help remove,
With your songs and courage, sympathy and love. (chorus)

When the days are gloomy, sing some happy song;
Meet the world’s repining with a courage strong.
Go with faith undaunted thru the ills of life;
Scatter smiles and sunshine o’er its toil and strife. (chorus)


Click here to listen to my arrangement of "Scatter Sunshine".

No comments:

Post a Comment